Monday 5 March 2012

Sunday in Los Angeles

Today has been another perfect holiday day so far.  We got up to glorious sunshine, and Jo and I took the dogs out for a walk.  Another Alice through the looking glass moment ensued as we walked past the local park.  The Sunday men’s soccer game was going on – and Rod Stewart was playing!  It blows my mind really, this evidence that these people who are icons and not really real to me actually live quite ordinary lives when they are at home.
After this we went to Marmalade’s Café for brunch which was superb.  I ordered a latte – I had to find out if everyone is right about USA coffee.  It wasn’t too bad, but certainly not up to Wellington standards.  Brunch itself made up for the coffee though.

Brunch was followed by a trip to the boat.  Jo and I went kayaking all about the marina while Grant helped Ian tinker with the outboard motor on the dinghy that they salvaged yesterday.  The kayaking was so cool, we saw seals basking on jetties and buoys, soaking up the glorious sunshine.  The breakwater was lined with cormorants and the occasional pelican.  Once we got back it was time for me to take Grant out; there was a lot of fun had but a lot less confidence around this time!  However we got back to the boat safely and without causing harm or inconvenience to any other boaters!



 This afternoon we have shopped – Home Depot again (my turn to go indoors, the place is unbelievable), a wholesaler called Costco (Moore Wilsons on steroids!) and a sporting goods store where Grant was able to get a pair of Keen summer walking shoes for half the NZ price.  A very successful afternoon.
 

Locals we meet keep telling us this superb weather is just like summer, and it has been really cold up until now.  I didn’t really believe them, but now that I think about the three days Mum and I spent here in July 2008, I really don’t think that was any better.  And the air is so clear this weekend, we can see the mountains to the east and had a lovely view of Catalina today.






We have had a lovely evening BBQ here at Jo and Ian’s house.  Ian’s daughter Chloe and her boyfriend Taijan came over for dinner too, so we all sat round the outdoor fire chatting.  A beautiful night with great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment